Tuesday, September 22, 2009

An Update!!

So, first of all I would like to apologize for my very spontaneous updating.  I'll go somewhere and be like "WOAH I NEED TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THIS" and then by the time I get home I'm so tired that I forget to tell you all about it.
  • So, here's what's been going on lately:
  • Wednesday (September 16th)
    • There's an Irish Pub down by the center of the city and on Wednesday nights after 9pm it has Karaoke!  So I got a bunch of Internationals from my dorm to go with me!  It was a LOT of fun and I ended up staying out until about 2am... And then got to go to class the next morning!  =D  Needless to say, I was a "little" tired for that class, but I made it through!!
  • Friday (September 18th)
    • The Korean girls who are in my Deutschkurs cooked dinner for a whole bunch of us.  We had Korean curry with chicken as well as a lot of appetizers.  It was SO good!  After dinner, Eunsol, Younghoe, Decky, Ross, Bank, Johannes and I went out for drinks.  The first place we went to had happy hour just as we showed up.  Cocktails were only 4.50 euro!  (As opposed to the 6 or 7 that they were listed as on the menu...)  So we each had a cocktail and then went to a different bar, because Bank and I wanted to try some of the local Bier and there wasn't much of a selection (according to Johannes) on the menu.  So we went to a place called Cafe Prag.  It was a really nice place, very classy.  They didn't have a very good selection of the local Bier there, but they did have a delicious Czech Bier.  (I'll have to ask Bank/Eunsol for pictures so I can report back to you all just exactly what the name of the Bier was...)
  • Saturday (September 19th)
    • Bank, Younghoe, Eunsol and I went to Bad Wildbad.   (Pronounced "Bahd Veeldbahd")  I took a bunch of pictures that you can see here.  Those pictures were taken with Bank's camera phone, and most of them turned out pretty well!  Bad Wildbad is located south-west of Pforzheim, and we were able to take the train there for free! (Yay for subsidized things for students!)  It was about a half hour ride to Bad Wildbad, and I fell asleep both on the way there and on the way back.  =)  Once we got there, we took a train up to Sommerberg --which is where most of the pictures are from.  Sommerberg is located just west of Bad Wildbad and is about 700m above sea level.  Once we got up there we saw walking paths, so we went for "a little stroll."  The path we chose was 7.7km long!  It was really pretty, though.  And really quiet. 
      • That's one thing here that really strikes me.  There aren't any airplanes overhead.  Thankfully it's not too quiet, there is noise from traffic almost all of the time, so it's not too eerie, but that was one thing I noticed right away, the lack of airplane noise.  (wow, sorry about that run-on sentence...)
  • Last night (September 21st)
    • I discovered that I can cook!!!
      • I made a cream sauce using this recipe and improvised to turn it into deliciousness by adding oregano, black peppers, a chopped chili pepper, chopped green onions, garlic, and mozzarella cheese...  Yummmmmmm.....
      • Up until last night, Bank and I had been cooking, but we hadn't really experimented with cooking too much.  And last night we got adventurous with our food.  It was a lot of fun, trying to figure out what would taste good with what we had.  I'm sooo proud of that cream sauce, especially since i had heard that cream sauces are kind of hard to make.
  • Our Deutschkurs ends on Friday, and if I pass, I get to move on to the A2 level.  Which meets SIX HOURS A WEEK.  Now, I actually do want to move on to the A2 level, because I want to be able to have small conversations with the people in the shops.  But four of those six hours are on Fridays... which means that it might limit the amount of traveling that I can do on weekends.  =/
  • I don't actually register for classes until Monday.  There's a meeting for the international students at 10:30 on Monday morning.  Here's a .pdf of what they have planned for us.  I'm really excited to start classes and meet more people.  =) And practice my German, of course!
  • Bank is making dinner tonight, he has a Thai soup recipe from his mom that he's going to try.  I'm excited, it should be delicious.  =)
So, that's basically what has been going on with me lately.  Sorry about the bullet formatting, but when I'm typing it's sometimes easier to put my thoughts into bullet form so that they're grouped and remain somewhat concise... =)  I'll be updating the calendar at the bottom of this page with my class schedule when I get it.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment